Providing Ground Transportation in Salt Lake City
The ground transportation requirements are applicable to all persons and companies providing commercial ground transportation services in Salt Lake City, including Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). This information is for general information purposes only. All ground transportation providers must comply with the specific requirements of Salt Lake City Ground Transportation Ordinances and Rules and Regulations, which includes the payment of fees as shown in the AVI Rate Schedule.
Those wishing to provide ground transportation in Salt Lake City must complete the following steps:
- Register the company name with the Utah State Department of Commerce.
- Secure a Salt Lake City Business License for providing Ground Transportation Service, as required by Salt Lake City Code Sections 5.02 and 5.04.
- Read and become familiar with the Ground Transportation Ordinances in Salt Lake City Code Sections 5.71, 5.72, 16.60, and 16.64. All provisions of the Salt Lake City Code for Title 5 can be found here.
- Read and become familiar with the Salt Lake City International Airport Rules and Regulations regarding ground transportation.
- Register the company with the Salt Lake City Department of Airports Ground Transportation Administration Office. The following will be required to complete the registration process:
- Vehicle Insurance must be emailed or faxed to the Ground Transportation office by your insurance company or agent before scheduling an appointment. Insurance documents may be emailed to SLCAirportGT@slcgov.com or faxed to 801-908-7220. The following insurance forms and amounts are required:
- Certificate of Liability for Insurance (Also called the Acord form): Vehicles with a seating capacity 1-15 passengers must have a minimum automobile liability insurance amount of $1 million. Vehicles with a passenger seating capacity of 16 or above must have a minimum automobile liability insurance amount of $5 million.
- Additional Insured: All policies must include Salt Lake City Corporation as the additional insured. A separate Additional Insured or Designated Insured form must accompany the Accord form.
Read through this Ground Transportation Insurance Checklist
- Complete a Ground Transportation Registration Form.
- Provide proof a current Utah State Safety Inspection.
- State registration and licensing documents.
Once the above steps have been completed, please call the Ground Transportation office to schedule an appointment at 801-908-7204/7205. Office hours are Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Friday: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Closed for Major Holidays). Appointments are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Your insurance agent must forward proof of insurance before an appointment can be scheduled.
Ground Transportation inspections will be completed at:
Salt Lake City Department of Airports
Ground Transportation Administration
218 North 2200 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116