Providing Ground Transportation in Salt Lake City
These requirements are applicable to all persons and companies providing commercial ground transportation services in Salt Lake City, including Salt Lake City International Airport. This guide is for general information purposes only. All ground transportation providers must comply with the specific requirements of Salt Lake City Ground Transportation Ordinances and Rules and Regulations, which includes the payment of fees as shown in the AVI Rate Schedule.
Ground Transportation ordinances are addressed in Salt Lake City Code Sections 5.71, 5.72, 16.60, and 16.64. Business licensing requirements for anyone doing business in Salt Lake City, including ground transportation providers, are set forth in Title 5, Salt Lake City Code. All provisions of the Salt Lake City Code can be located at http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=672.
Salt Lake City International Airport Rules and Regulations can be found at:/assets/pdfDocuments/GT-Rules_Regs.pdf
A ground transportation provider insurance checklist can be found at :/assets/pdfDocuments/GTInsuranceChecklist.pdf
Those wishing to provide ground transportation in Salt Lake City must complete the following steps:
- Register the company name with the Utah State Department of Commerce.
- Secure a Salt Lake City Business License for providing Ground Transportation Service.
- Register the company with the Salt Lake City Department of Airports Ground Transportation Administration Office.
a. Business Registration – Complete a Ground Transportation Registration Form and provide it, along with documentation from the Utah Department of Commerce and Salt Lake City Business License. These documents may be emailed to SLCAirportGT@slcgov.com, faxed to 801-908-7220, mailed to or brought into the Salt Lake City Department of Airports Ground Transportation Administration Office. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm (closed 12:00-1:00 p.m. and holidays).
Mailing address and office location:
Salt Lake City Department of Airports
Ground Transportation Administration
218 North 2200 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
b. Vehicle registration and inspection - Register with the Ground Transportation Administration Office all vehicles that will be operating in Salt Lake City. An appointment is needed for each vehicle that needs to be registered. Appointments can be made through an email request at SLCAirportGT@slcgov.com, or by calling the office at 801-908-7204. Bring all required documents for review and verification, including:
- State registration and licensing documents.
- Vehicle Insurance: (see checklist)
- Certificate of Liability for Insurance in the amounts required by Salt Lake City Ordinance. Vehicles with a seating capacity 1-15 passengers must have a minimum automobile liability insurance amount of $1 million.
- Vehicles with a passenger seating capacity of 16 or above must have a minimum automobile liability insurance amount of $5 million.
- All policies must name Salt Lake City Corporation as an additional insured.
- Current Salt Lake County Vehicle Emissions Inspection.
- Vehicles will be inspected by the Ground Transportation Administration Office to assure compliance with the Rules and Regulations associated with Salt Lake City Code Section 5.71.150.